Well, hello there! So nice of you to come visit my humble site, yet again! Today is about a mapping challenge… a very tough mapping challenge. I was basically thrown into the deep end and expected to swim by my glorious Digital History teacher. No matter, I managed to figure it out!!!
The map above, which I worked on in a group of three, is based on a data set of all post-secondary schools in the United States currently. The map that the data set is placed on top of and rectified to is a historical map of the major boroughs in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I do not think that this particular combination of map and data set give off too many clues about the Pittsburgh area other than the fact that most of the post-secondary schools are centered around the very heart of the city.
One major challenge in creating this map was the apparent inability to do so at first! No one in my class was able to apply the map from MapWarper to the data set that we used and created points for in Carto. Have no fear though! Dr. Cowan to the rescue!!! My Digital History professor managed to fix the problem for all of us and, instead of spending half an hour on the data set/map, we were able to finish the project in about five minutes flat.
Finishing this mapping project after my professor was able to fix the problem definitely gave me the confidence boost I needed as far as history goes. The sense of accomplishment I felt whenever my group and I saw the final map was amazing, and I feel like I could make maps like this in my sleep now. It truly helps when trying to understand a data set or any historical points you can find.